Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I have a dream

Martin Luther King talks about a dream. This dream is about equality among every people on earth and especially bewtween African American and White people. During the years after the World War II black people weren't considerate equal to white people so they couldn't use the same bus or the same houses. The MLK dream means freedom. The MLK dream means equality.
But when I think the American Dream I think about another thing. In Europe in the 60's American Dreams meant to have a "better life" . The United States had to be a country where If you work hard you would be happy and have a perfect family, a big house and a big cars. Maybe in 60's this could be the best dream that everbody could imagine. But I feel that the 60's American Dream was something fake. Something based on consumerism. "If you want to be happy you have to buy this. And in the USA you can have it!". Certainly this my opinion is influenced by movies or articles that I've seen or read.
I think that now the time is changed and the American Dream is not the same.
I think that now foreign people belive in a different American Dream than before.
In USA if you are a smart person that you like to work you can find a very good job and earn a lot. But the life style is completely different from Europe. I feel that here is more difficult to build a good personal life and find friends. I could be wrong but this is what I perceive now.

In Italy I've never heard about an Italian Dream that could be similar to the American Dream.
My dream should be understand why a prime minister can have all the television and the news paper...how is it possible?

I'm just livin' out the American Dream
And I just realized that nothing is what it se
ems.
Madonna

4 comments:

  1. well, enrico i am agree with your idea about the american life style compared with the eurpean which i think is similar in some aspects with the colombian life style where the friends and family are somethings really more important than other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree most of your opinions, the dream changes a lot today.
    You're actually right,to make a friend here seem to be difficult,I wish everything will go better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Enrico,
    Honestly, I don't believe this kinds of idealism. When it becomes like any kinds of dream, it sounds fake, and its value get swept away. I like when you make an comparison and illustrate it with consumerism. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enrico,

    Great post! I suppose that the idea of the "American Dream" still exists, but how much of a reality it ever was for most people who sought, or seek, it is another question. Now, I shall have to look into the PM question...

    ReplyDelete